Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 1: Dance Prompting Practice (DVBS)


When I was a kid, I used to attend Vacation Bible School in Marikina. I remember that, it was in Vacation Bible School where I learned the song - "Zacchaeus a wee little man, A wee little mas was he. He climbed up in a sycamore tree the Lord He wanted to see. The Lord passed by and said; "Zacchaeus come down! 'Cause I'm going to your house today.(2x)"" and the forever LSS "We're glad to be here at vacation bible school...". Bible School taught me a lot. It taught me lessons and gave me memories that I still carry as I journey to my life today. Memory verses and crafts will forever be cherished.

I've become a fetcher of my sister who participated in DVBS for how many years already. I've been busy doing nothing, waiting for her to finish for the past how many years. I've (almost) memorized all the praise and worship songs that they were singing as I accompany her to her group every morning. I loved the things that the volunteers were doing. I could see myself doing those also. I loved talking to the kids and to other people. Those reasons, gave me a drive to volunteer to Vacation Bible School.

Today was my first day of training for volunteering in CCF's Vacation Bible School. I was supposed to wake up at seven but my day started at 8:30 a.m. I came rushing down to the bathroom to bathe because today's call time was at nine. Thank God I arrived at CCF at around 9:15. (As to how I did that, I shan't tell anymore. Hihihi)

I thought I was very late. I was scared because today was supposedly the marshals' and teachers' training.  I was so guilty of being late. How am I suppose to teach and to lead the kids if I am late? Thanks to the people who were there to make me feel at home. 

We first did devotions. I learned every leader is a also a servant. Also, I was enlightened that people aren't naturally born humble. It is more natural for a person to become arrogant, boastful, greedy, and proud, but the bible says that even if being humble is such an effort to do, we have to put on the apron of humility. I came to volunteer not to impress, nor to show off. I came to volunteer because I want to serve. :-)

I also got my handbook. This year's theme is Hero Head Quarters! I am very excited to become a teacher!


After the devotion, we've gone to one of the rooms to practice the dance and songs that will be used in DVBS. I was one of the eldest in the group (next to our mentor). My dance prompt-mates practically have ages ranging from 10 to 16, nice hanging out with the youth diba? By the way, being a dance prompter means that one has to be on stage or on the grounds to lead the children to the song every praise and worship. Our mentor said that dance prompting isn't actually dancing but it is a combination of dancing and hosting. We practiced four songs. We ended at around 12:15.

I met new friends today. All of them are younger than me. Next week, I will be attending the teachers and marshals training and I am just so excited.

Thank you Lord for giving me the drive to pursue this even if it means waking up at 7 and going to CCF alone! I have no regrets! :-) I am so looking forward to the next things to come!

So stoked and excited,
Yana

No comments:

Post a Comment